Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Passing the ERA torch

After last night's shelling of Ryan Vogelsong, I'm beginning to wonder if I should get out of the prediction game. It's also possible that I need to start betting against my instincts. Anyway, despite last night, I'm willing to say that this will still end up a good series.

That of course will depend highly on the offensive showing tonight. Jordan Zimmermann, after Vogelsong's .5 ERA spike, is now the National League leader in ERA at 2.35. He's had a fantastic year, and is somehow avoiding Cy Young discussions; possibly being overshadowed by his team mate Stephen Strasburg.

Taking the hill tonight for the Giants is Madison Bumgarner, the man who's career is starting much like Matt Cain's and Justin Verlander's, with one exception: it's been better. This year he sports a 3.01 ERA with great strikeout numbers.

What I'm trying to say is that I like Madison Bumgarner. He's a lefty slinger, and by God I love them leftys (Kirk Reuter, forever in our memories).

I hesitate to ever predict wins and losses. Frankly, in baseball anyone can beat you at any time. But tonight we see the return of the Panda, and I'm still holding that this series will end up brighter than our last with the Nationals (a low bar I know).

-Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment